Technical advisory services for renewable energy projects
Technical consultancy for renewable energy projects
Through this service, our experts assess the financial, legal, regulatory and technical aspects of your project. Our international team of experts provides services in any location in the world and for any type of client (investors, owners, developers or IPP companies).
We take into account our clients' needs, the features of the site where the facility will be built, permits, planning costs and project financing.
The feasibility study includes:
1. Site inspection and evaluation
2. Preliminary design
3. Permit review
4. Land valuation
5. Preliminary energy performance assessment
Technical due diligence is an audit that identifies risks and proposes solutions to mitigate them. This assessment, often performed by an external company, includes:
1. Technical review of the project design and the major equipment
2. Site visit and evaluation
3. Administrative and permit review
4. EPC and O&M contract review
5. Land agreement and real estate information review
6. Energy performance evaluation
7. Financial model review
8. Historical performance analysis (operational projects)
9. Quality inspection (operational projects)
Thanks to the coordination across our three business lines, Vector Renewables performs technical due diligence by taking a holistic approach to the asset, also taking into account legal and financial aspects:
Independent assessments of energy production provide additional security when it comes to managing wind farms and solar power plants.
An energy yield assessment provides real data on how to attain greater efficiency from a renewable project design. For example, it can help you decide whether it is better to install a fixed axis or a tracker in a solar power plant.
Our experts will perform a detailed simulation of the installation. We will also calculate the project’s potential energy yield to support your financial model forecasts (P50, P75 and P90).
We handle warranty claims, technical performance and verification of safety-related incidents in the plant. This service can be combined with inspection and measurement.
- Coordinating the application submission to the competent authorities, managing responses to administrative requests and supervising the companies involved in the required studies and permits.
- Technical advice on all aspects of interconnection, grid connection contracts, third-party agreements etc. We supervise the property rights management performed by the developer and prepare a list of identified risks associated with the project and their potential impact.
- Legal support for SPVs (special purpose vehicles) in the event the company already exists, with the review of all related documentation. In terms of real estate, we review, discuss and modify all property lease agreements, if applicable. We also advise our clients in the drafting of any annexes or ancillary documents required for the signing and execution of bank-owned land leases.
We also provide site supervision and milestone verification, commissioning and evaluation of the provisional acceptance certificate (PAC) and operational follow-up and evaluation of the final acceptance certificate (FAC).
- Feasibility study.
- Regulatory framework analysis.
- Applicable revenue streams (demand response and demand management system).
- Creation of technological and market scenarios.
- Technical and economic feasibility analysis.
- Analysis of the authorization process.
- Project planning and design.
- Technology and application overview.
- Project engineering and management for the owner (in construction phase).
- Project management. We plan, organize and control engineering and construction resources to ensure profitability and compliance with deadlines.
- Concept study and demand forecast. We determine the commercial, technical and strategic feasibility for hydrogen production, conduct project development activities, address the financial requirements for project implementation and chart the project roadmap.
- Feasibility study. At this point we prepare a detailed review that includes:
• Identification of available technological solutions, evaluation of their efficiency in the area of development and definition of key parameters to model the system.
• Analysis of potential alternative technologies to be used for each step of the supply chain.
• Plant layout along the value chain: production, transportation, distribution and storage. Each of these steps is focused on satisfying the needs of the end user.
• Financial and investment analysis.
• Analysis and definition of the authorizations required to develop the technical project.
- For solar PV energy: quality inspections; measurements and analysis of the I-V curve, thermographic images and albedo (percentage of radiation from a surface to the atmosphere); inverter performance test, evaluation of the provisional acceptance certificate (PAC), according to IEC 62446 and string homogeneity and performance test, among others.
- For wind farms: blade inspections, end-of-warranty inspections, balance-of-plant (BoP) inspections, substations and electrical equipment, gearbox inspections, operational data analysis and performance analysis or power curve verification.
Acquisitions, construction and commissioning
Our team of experts closely monitors project construction through several levels of support, from remote construction supervision with monthly visits to 24-hour on-site presence. We also supervise the start-up and correct execution of the provisional and final acceptance tests stipulated in the contracts.
You want the best terms and conditions and your contract. We’re here to get them for you. The involvement of experienced technicians guarantees that all the processes are fulfilled within the established legal standards. We take care of:
- Engineering design review. Prior to construction, our experts ensure the suitability of the proposed design to the contract requirements. During construction, we ensure that any modifications or variations are acceptable and up to standard. Upon completion, we confirm and verify the actual execution of the project.
- Construction follow-up. We audit the construction progress according to the schedule, supervising compliance with quality standards. This includes any applicable regulations, EPC contract and warranties, either through regular visits to the plant or a permanent on-site presence.
- Quality control plan. We review and verify the quality performance of the EPC contractor and the project's main third parties through inspections and visits to the site or manufacturing facilities. Typical tests we perform for our clients include:
- Factory acceptance test (FAT) of the main equipment.
- Site acceptance test (SAT).
Provisional acceptance certificate (PAC).
- Final acceptance certificate (FAC).
- Commissioning support:
- Preparation and verification of completion of punch list (list with requirements to be completed by the contractor before the project can be finalized).
- Review of the contractor's documentation.
- Review of performance tests and start-up.
Engineering in renewable energy plants
The engineering team includes in-house engineers (electrical, civil, mechanical and commissioning), who provide support to the client during the technical review of the EPC/BoP contract and technical annexes. They can also oversee the engineering design and quality control plan and participate in Factory Acceptance Tests of the main equipment or field inspections to verify the progress of the work.
For projects under development, we have the capacity to provide support in the drafting of technical documentation to process access and connection and administrative permits. In addition, we provide support in layout optimization with design programs (PVcase/Helios 3D, Civil 3D) to improve the LCOE. Finally, we can help the client define the scope of previous studies (geographic, topographic and hydrographic).
We prepare civil, mechanical and electrical blueprints and calculation memories for the PV plant and the relevant interconnection infrastructure under construction.